24. 08. 2018
Off
Ross Lyon fears Nat Fyfe could leave Fremantle Dockers if club has no plan

Ross Lyon fears Nat Fyfe could leave Fremantle Dockers if club has no plan

Nat Fyfe is working hard towards a 2017 return for Fremantle. Photo: FacebookFremantle coach Ross Lyon has warned fans that he believes superstar Nat Fyfe could leave the club if it does not convince him it has a plan for future success.
Nanjing Night Net

Speaking on Fox Footy's On the Couch on Monday night, Lyon said he knows the 2015 Brownlow Medallist loves the club but he craves success like any other AFL player.

"He is really exerting his leadership and energy around the club," Lyon said of the 24-year-old.

"How he spoke when he won the Brownlow, he loves the Fremantle Football Club, but in saying that he wants to build success."

Lyon acknowledged the importance of including all personnel and supporters in building towards a premiership.

"You've got to bring everyone along for the journey like when the Hawks did it — board members, fans, members and your best players and leaders because they've got to buy into the plan," Lyon said.

"If Nathan believes in that plan coming his way, he'll be here, I've got no doubt.

"If he doesn't believe in the plan, and we don't bring him along, he'd be a chance to leave."

Fyfe's season ended in round five with a leg fracture - one of a number of disasters that hit Fremantle this year as they plummeted out of premiership contention with 10 straight losses from the season opener.

After that loss to Carlton, Lyon said the club had to re-stump, re-wire and re-plumb, with chief executive Steve Rosich last weekend outlining a plan for the Dockers to recruit heavily through the next three to four national drafts as they rebuild their playing list.

​"We could load up and attract free agents and uncontracted players, but if that failed then you'd be in a real hole," Lyon said.

"We want to take care of the present and the future at the same time.

"We don't want to sell the farm, either ... we would still like to play finals next year.

"We think it's possible - anything's possible."

Fremantle (3-11) will miss the finals this season for the first time since Lyon took over as coach at the end of 2011. But the former St Kilda mentor, who boasts a 63 per cent winning ratio at the Dockers, believes the club can contend in 2017 with a healthier list.

The club can expect key players Fyfe, Aaron Sandilands (ribs), Michael Johnson (knee/hamstring), Harley Bennell (calf) and Alex Pearce (leg) to return next year, though Pavlich, 34, is certain to retire at the end of this season.

Lyon said Pavlich planned to play the rest of the season before retiring, despite suggestions he should be given an early send-off game.

The Dockers legend will play against Melbourne in Darwin on Saturday night but managed throughout the rest of the season and unlikely to make the trip to Gold Coast in round 18.

Meanwhile Fyfe told Channel Seven on Monday night he won't know until next season whether the decision to take the whole year off to allow his fractured leg to heal properly was the right one.

Fyfe's fractured left fibula was the same bone injured in last year's preliminary final loss against Hawthorn.

He had surgery to have another plate inserted in the days after the injury. There was a possibility that Fyfe could play again this season with the plate still in his leg but it was decided he would get the plate removed and sit out the remainder of the year.

Fremantle's likely next captain said he feels fit enough to play now but he will have the plate removed in a couple of weeks and said time would tell if the right decision was made.

"We won't know until next year, but a year off this year will hopefully give me some longevity in my career and have me ready to really attack next year and return to my best footy, which I've got every intention of doing," Fyfe said.

"I'm fit and strong and if I wasn't getting the plates removed I'd be playing footy by now.

"But the way we've gone, in a couple of weeks I'll have the surgery, have the plates taken out and start again on my rebuild for 2017."

Fyfe has been in Fremantle's coaching box and around the team on match days in recent weeks helping the club's young midfield group.

He is part of the Dockers leadership group and said the mentoring role had kept him engaged during his time out with injury.

"It just reminds me and invigorates me and lets me know how powerful my influence can be," Fyfe said.

"I've had great mentors and leaders throughout my footy journey and I feel I've got an important leadership role to keep engaged, keep giving back to these young guys because we've got some genuine stars coming through. It's my job to nurture them to the top."

Teammate Lachie Neale said last week that Fyfe had been a critical sounding board for him this year and the two-time AFL Players' Association MVP provided a unique perspective for the players.

"He's been great.. he comes in at half-time and at the breaks and speaks to the midfielders," Neale said.

"He's been great for me and Connor Blakely has been speaking to him at the breaks as well.

"He just gives us more of a player's perspective, instead of hearing from the coaches all of the time.

"He sees the game a bit differently to what Marc Webb (Freo Dockers midfield coach) might, or what Ross (Lyon) might.

"It's been fantastic for him to come in and give us some tips and give us some areas to grow and also some positive affirmations as well throughout the game."

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More →
24. 08. 2018
Off
Brisbane radio ratings: Ash, Kip and Luttsy claim breakfast

Brisbane radio ratings: Ash, Kip and Luttsy claim breakfast

Breakfast hosts Ash, Kip and Luttsy have helped Nova to its first overall ratings win this year. Photo: Supplied 612 ABC's Spencer Howson.
Nanjing Night Net

Nova's Ash, Kip and Luttsy have received an audience resurgence and toppled ABC's Spencer Howson from the top of the breakfast radio pile.

The Nova team saw an audience growth of 2.2 points while Howson shed almost the same amount, dropping back to second.

97.3's Robin, Terry and Bob also saw a massive chunk of their listeners switch off, dropping 2.6 points.

Overall Nova breakfast has a 13.5 point audience share, nearly a full point ahead of Howson and more than two points ahead of 97.3.

Nova was also the only locally produced show that saw major gains at breakfast with every other station either losing share or holding relatively steady.

With Nova making its way to the top the current breakfast leaderboard looks like this: Nova's Ash, Kip and Luttsy - 13.5ABC's Spencer Howson - 12.897.3's Robin, Terry and Bob - 11.4Hit105's Abby, Stav and Osher Gunsberg - 9.4Triple M's Ed and Marto - 9.1

The breakfast gain also helped Nova win the overall ratings for the first time this year.

The station's audience share Monday to Sunday between 5am and midnight is an impressive 14.3 points, well clear of 97.3, which had won overall in every survey this year, on 11.6 points.

The fourth survey of the year saw gains for Nova in every key timeslot except weekends where, they lost a 0.8 point audience share.

Nova's networked evening shows - Smallzy's Surgery and Late Nights with Jason Smith, saw a massive increase of 4.9 points.

The good news for Nova was bad news for 97.3 with the ARN station shedding big numbers in every key timeslot while Austereo's decision to have Osher Gunsberg phone the show in from Sydney, which helped them gain audience at the start of the year, seems to be another failed experiment from the struggling station.

Stay informed. Like the Brisbane Times Facebook page

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More →
24. 08. 2018
Off
Brisbane CBD ‘one-punch’ accused breaks down in court

Brisbane CBD ‘one-punch’ accused breaks down in court

Paramedics treat Mark English, allegedly coward punched on Ann Street in the Brisbane CBD. Photo: Jorge Branco Lawyer Brendan Beavon leaves Brisbane Magistrates Court after his client Morgan Alexander Isles-English appeared, charged with punching his father in Brisbane's CBD. Photo: Jorge Branco
Nanjing Night Net

A man charged with an alleged one-punch attack on his father, who is now fighting for life in hospital, has broken down in emotional scenes in a Brisbane court.

"I love you Mum," Morgan Alexander Isles-English, 25, yelled out as his case went before a magistrate on Tuesday morning.

"I love you too," she mouthed back.

The Teneriffe man, dressed in a prison-issue tracksuit, paced back and forth and bumped his head against the glass in the dock as his lawyer, Brendan Beavon, asked for the case to be adjourned.

Mr Isles-English held his head in his hands and sobbed loudly as he faced court on one charge of grievous bodily harm over the alleged attack in the Brisbane CBD on Monday.

His father, named as Mark English but referred to in court documents as Mark Bradley McGrice, was in an induced coma in the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital after being scheduled for surgery overnight.

The Gold Coast man was walking along Ann Street opposite Central train station with his partner, Varri Telfer, about 4pm Monday, when his son spotted them and allegedly attacked.

Ms Telfer said the men hadn't seen each other for four years.

Police said the 25-year-old Teneriffe man had a "brief verbal exchange" with the couple before punching his dad in the mouth.

The Gold Coast man fell backwards and was knocked out when his head hit the concrete.

His partner and passersby administered first aid until paramedics arrived, when he remained lying face down on the path for minutes as they assessed his injuries.

Shortly after the incident, she said Mr English was breathing but hadn't spoken.

Mr Isles-English's lawyer and his supporter both declined to comment as they left court.

The accused did not apply for bail and the matter was adjourned until August 15 for a mention.

Stay informed. Like the Brisbane Times Facebook page

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More →
24. 08. 2018
Off
Five held over brutal Newport bashing that fractured young man’s skull

Five held over brutal Newport bashing that fractured young man’s skull

Police are investigating a brutal attack in Newport. Mason Street, Newport, near the scene of the alleged assault. Photo: Google Maps
Nanjing Night Net

Five men have been arrested over a brutal attack in Melbourne's west that left a teenager in hospital with a fractured skull.

The victim's mother, Michelle McIver, said her son and two friends were walking down Mason Street in Newport about 1am on Sunday when they were "hunted down" by the men in a car.

Ms McIver said the offenders demanded one of the boys hand over his phone, wallet, jacket and shoes while a sharp object, believed to be a knife, was held to his throat.

She said her son, who had nothing of value on him, was set upon and bashed with some kind of metal bar.

"These animals did not leave one bruise or mark on any part of my son's body [other than his head]," she posted on Facebook on Monday.

"They went at his head from behind with what his friends believe to have been some sort of metal bar [or] baseball bat and then when he was semiconscious with their boots to his face."

Ms McIver said her son suffered a fractured skull, eight broken teeth and a swollen eye.

He remains in hospital after undergoing surgery and has no memory of the attack, she said.

The Williamstown woman said the attack was "so brutal you may have seen my son's pool of blood left on the pavement" in the street where he was bashed.

She appealed for anyone with information to contact Altona North Police Station.

In a statement, police said the victims were allegedly chased into Laurie Street and assaulted.

The five men were arrested on Tuesday morning in High Street, Reservoir after calls to police about a suspect car at a service station.

The men are helping with inquiries, the police statement said.

The allegedly stolen Nissan skyline, believed stolen from Maidstone on July 1, has been seized by police. \n",colour:"green", title:"Mason Street, Newport", maxWidth:200, open:0}] );}if (!window.gmapsLoaders) window.gmapsLoaders = [];window.gmapsLoaders.push(CreateGMapgmap20166594854);window.gmapsAutoload=true;/*]]>*/]]>

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More →
24. 08. 2018
Off
Parents ‘fearful’ of killer canines

Parents ‘fearful’ of killer canines

A SHAKEN Wagga resident has blasted irresponsible animal owners after two poorly restrained dogs escaped their property and went on a "petkilling spree" last week.
Nanjing Night Net

Council rangers issued the owners of two escapee American Mastiff dogs with a number of infringements, but locals who felt the brunt of their "frenzied roaming" have demanded acity-widecrackdown.

Mount Austin's Rachel Pettit broke her silence to The Daily Advertiser after the loose dogs massacred two of her neighbour's pets.

She stressed the urgency for council, and even police, to punish owners who fail to properly contain their animals.

“My neighbour saw her little dog get slaughtered–she looked out the back door and saw a bloodied big black and white dog standing on top of hers,” she said.

“They also managed to kill my other neighbour’s cat, which I found yesterday in my backyard.

"When I saw the dead cat I thought to myself, ‘that could have been one of my children’.My two-year-old loves to jump around and I hate to think what could have happened if he was out there playing.”

The cat was killed during the attack andwhile the small dog survived the immediate onslaught, itlater had to be euthanised.

Ms Pettit said she had the terriblejob of wrapping the cat in a towel and giving it to her neighbours to bury.

Break-in victim Blake Cullen, whose guard dogdefended his property from burglars two months ago, said it was important thedogs weren’tpunished simply for being aggressive.

“People are quick to throw the blame but if we punish dogs for being defensive, you’ll see more and more homes get robbed,” he said.

“My property was saved by my dog.You have to blame the owners, it’s their job to keep them restricted.”

Wagga City Council confirmed the “alleged dog attack”had taken place last week and said investigations are “still ongoing”.

“Dog attacks are best prevented when a dog is secured in a yard or restrained on a leash when in a public place,” a spokesperson said.

“These are both responsibilities of the dog owner and outlined in the Companion Animals Act.”

If a dog is found roaming, owners face a fine of $220.Fordog attacks, owners can be fined $550or have the matter referred to court.

Residents can report roaming animals by phoning council’s 24-hour call centre on1300 292 442.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Read More →